Tuesday 21 August 2012


I have been volunteering on the Access to Archaeology project for several weeks now and I am fully enjoying myself. I am spending a day a week working with the curatorial staff to update and expand the Historic Environment Record. After using the HER extensively in my research for my Master’s dissertation I took the opportunity to volunteer for this project to give something back, even if it means taking time away from writing the dissertation! I have also worked with the Trust on a variety of volunteer projects, as well as working for them as a paid archaeologist, and my experiences with them only furthered my desire to get involved with something else.

During my time on this project I have used the computer HER to input and process a variety of reports and sites for the public’s future reference. This required sifting through a lot of documents to gain an accurate picture of the archaeology and recording it in a way that is both useful and easy to understand. At first the software can be quite daunting to use, but after a few entries the process becomes almost second nature.

It has been fun to distract myself from the worries of writing a dissertation and it is unfortunate that this will probably be my last project at GGAT as I am leaving for Scotland soon. I have enjoyed my time spent with the friendly and helpful staff that work here and wish them, and the HER, all the best for the future.

Callum Allsop, Volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contact us with any comments or queries: